- The Metropolitan District Water Treatment Facility in the town of West Hartford is occupied by a number of reservoirs, dams, and multi-use trails. The trail system is open to the public for active recreation.
- The MDC wanted to renovate its Red Trail system in order to keep trails in good condition for public use including resurfacing and installing new culverts.
- ZUVIC was selected to provide full-time construction inspection for the project designed by Tighe & Bond.
- Construction was planned in stages so public access to a majority of trail could still be provided.
- Provided full-time construction inspection for the construction of 1.25 miles of bituminous multi-purpose trail, including grinding and reuse of existing bituminous pavement and base, a modified rip rap swale adjacent to the trail, multiple culvert crossings and wood guide railing protection.
- Design Specifications:
Phase IIA - Length: 3,285 feet
• Phase IIB - Length: 3,350 feet
• Pavement Structure: 3½” Bituminous Concrete on 8” Reclaimed Asphalt
• Swale: Modified Rip Rap
• Cross Culverts: HDPE Pipe with Precast Concrete Endwalls